(RxWiki News) The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning about the possible contamination of several drugs and dietary supplements.
Consumers should not use drugs or dietary supplements manufactured by PharmaTech LLC of Davie, Florida, and labeled by Major Pharmaceuticals, Rugby Laboratories or Leader Brands, according to the FDA. That’s because these products may be contaminated with the bacteria Burkholderia cepacia (B. cepacia).
The symptoms of B. cepacia infection can vary from no symptoms to serious respiratory infections. This type of infection can spread from person to person by direct contact and is typically resistant to common antibiotics.
“B. cepacia poses a serious threat to vulnerable patients, including infants and young children who still have developing immune systems,” said FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb in a press release.
Some products that are included in this warning include liquid docusate sodium drugs and various dietary supplements, including liquid vitamin D drops and liquid multivitamins.
The products that have been recalled include the following:
- Liquid Multivitamin Supplement for Infants and Toddlers 50 mL, UPC: 096295128611 ALL LOTS
- Liquid Vitamin D Supplement for Breastfed Infants 400 IU 50 mL, UPC: 096295128628 ALL LOTS
- Certa-Vite Liquid 236ML 00904-5023-09 ALL LOTS
- Poly-Vita Drops 50ML 00904-5099-50 ALL LOTS
- Poly-Vita Drops W/Iron 50ML 00904-5100-50 ALL LOTS
- Ferrous Drops Iron Supplement 50ML 00904-6060-50 ALL LOTS
- D-Vita Drops 50ML 00904-6273-50 ALL LOTS
- Tri-Vita Drops 50ML 00904-6274-50 ALL LOTS
- Senna Syrup 237ML 00904-6289-09 ALL LOTS
- C Liquid 500mg 118ML 00536-0160-97 ALL LOTS
- Diocto Liquid 50mg/5ml 473ML 00536-0590-85 ALL LOTS
- Ferrous Sulfate Elixir 473ML 00536-0650-85 ALL LOTS
- Fer Iron Liquid 50ML 50ML 00536-0710-80 ALL LOTS
- Senexon Liquid 237ML 00536-1000-59 ALL LOTS
- Diocto Syrup 60MG/15ML 473ML 00536-1001-85 ALL LOTS
- Aller Chlor Syrup 120ML 00536-1025-47 ALL LOTS
- Calcionate Syrup 16OZ 00536-2770-85 ALL LOTS
- Cerovite Liquid 236ML 00536-2790-59 ALL LOTS
- D3 400iu Liquid 50ML 00536-8400-80 ALL LOTS
- Poly-Vitamin Liquid 50ML 00536-8450-80 ALL LOTS
- Tri-Vitamin Liquid 50ML 00536-8501-80 ALL LOTS
- Poly-Vitamin W/Iron Liquid 50ML 00536-8530-80 ALL LOTS
The FDA recommended that patients stop using these products immediately. The agency is also encouraging consumers to report adverse events or quality problems with the use of drugs and dietary supplements to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program.
Discuss any questions or concerns you may have about your medications or supplements with your pharmacist.